Author Topic: K.A.N. FUNDING STRATEGIES SUB-GROUP REPORT  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Matthew Slater

Re: K.A.N. FUNDING STRATEGIES SUB-GROUP REPORT
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:54:48 AM »
>What are these "local production and local financial tools"?  How would you kick start or re-solve the gap? In other words, what would it take? What conditions need to be in place to make that happen, i.e. for a local community to have these "local production and local financial tools" that you talk about in the above quote?

Sorry it seems I'm never specific enough.
the way forward for a new localised financial infrastructure would have several elements such as
- Banco Palmas /
- Community Supported Agriculture + Local fabrication workshops using 3d printing
- Community Land Trusts
- Localised crowdfunding / investment bonds
- Local insurance / pension pots / asset management.
The former are proven designs while the latter things barely exist yet.
Timebanking  / LETS are really just the first step down this road.
We can only unlock local wealth where value is being created and exchanged locally.
So I'm talking about where we want to get to more than what is possible this year.
However I believe such articulation is important, because the demand is, in a sense, half of the equation.

Offline Tony Budak

• Community Labor Facilitator
  • Administrator
  • Is leadership only for heroes?
    • Time Bank Mahoning Watershed
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:00:10 AM »
> Our subject is the funding of time banks, so how do you envision using "local money" and or "enterprise and investment" to help sustain time banks?
My point was that these things will be supported by local economies when the local production and local financial tools exist and are used. So the mid-long term funding strategy must go hand in hand with growing local economies.

What are these "local production and local financial tools"?  How would you kick start or re-solve the gap? In other words, what would it take? What conditions need to be in place to make that happen, i.e. for a local community to have these "local production and local financial tools" that you talk about in the above quote?
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for Forum/Board technical support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Offline Matthew Slater

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
> Our subject is the funding of time banks, so how do you envision using "local money" and or "enterprise and investment" to help sustain time banks?
My point was that these things will be supported by local economies when the local production and local financial tools exist and are used. So the mid-long term funding strategy must go hand in hand with growing local economies.

>How do "engineers" participate in funding to sustain Time Banks? Please explain what is the role of these engineers?
I mean the engineers who are building/maintaining the timebank.
They support the project, not through the building because any engineer can build, by accepting locally produced goods as payment, instead of legal tender.

Offline Tony Budak

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
To re-iterate, the most progressive approach is to build a relationship with the end users. Collectively they have huge resources, good hearts, and understand the needs. The difficulty with this approach is that it is hard to get the actual stuff from the users to the engineers without using something portable like money. Its easy enough with an intertrading network to move the hours, but eventually either people must move to where the goods and services are produced, or the goods and services must move to where the engineers are.

Hi Matthew,

How do "engineers" participate in funding to sustain Time Banks? Please explain what is the role of these engineers?

Thanks in advance.
With Respect and Cheers,

Please do not email or PM me for Forum/Board technical support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Offline Tony Budak

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »
At the same time we need to see more and more useful value changing hands with local money, and that means fostering enterprise and investment

We have to think less like a disparate movement and more like a coherent community, each with a role to play.
Matthew

Okay, good point Matthew, but can you be lots more specific?

Our subject is the funding of time banks, so how do you envision using "local money" and or "enterprise and investment" to help sustain time banks?

You folks that are reading this, please jump in and tell us your dreams or suggestions in terms of time bank sustainability?
With Respect and Cheers,

Offline Tony Budak

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
 Hi Everybody,
This KAN Funding Strategy project started with the idea gathering a team or several teams, who would in their particular group, work through and develop a funding strategy for whatever the group wished to achieve. The KAN Funding Strategy web site is at https://tbswork.wikispaces.com/home

That wiki, the KAN Funding Strategy web site has not worked as a place for Time Bank members to come together, come together as a team or teams and create agreement on their group’s mission. I do think the wiki is a good forum once a team or group as such knows who they are and what their purpose is. But that's not so simple, right? So I’m moving up stream so to speak by asking for general conversation here in this forum. Perhaps it is here in this forum that teams, visions, and objectives can be clarified, once that is done, a team can get down to writing a doable funding plan for whatever they wish.

My hope is that here in this digital discussion forum we can address these various questions. Perhaps work group teams and objectives will flower. Up to Y’all.

I'm wanting and willing to be concrete and in community, we do have a small team which I'm on more than one, please join us? See the wiki listed above.

Or anyone can start a thread to see who will rally around a concrete purpose?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:32:16 PM by Tony Budak »
With Respect and Cheers,

Offline Greg Bloom

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
A lot of what Matthew says here makes sense.

Tony, I continue to be skeptical that Timebanks in and of themselves can be effective vehicles for raising money. The UK's surge of government funding seems to suggest otherwise, but of course government funding comes with its own raft of serious challenges.

I *do* think that if you get more concrete about what you want to do in community -- this or that project, this or that event -- you can probably think of very specific and effective ways to raise money for those specific objectives, and the fact that they can be accomplished in large part through labor facilitated through the timebank will make those projects more attractive fundraisers.

Offline Matthew Slater

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
I'd like to offer a lot of feeback because I've been contemplating with all these issues for the last few years, all the while preferring to live on air, than actually tackle them.

> Mutual credit.

It's not clear what is meant by this. I think this means, in practice, payment in kind. This is how I live and it means the users themselves are the funders, and its not a charity any more and it is out of control of the people that usually disburse money. I suggest that, with the right preaching in the right places, this method is suitable for maintaining systems - acknowledged the services of skilled people with local food and services. A steady level of payment which can be long anticipated and budgeted. 3 - 5 part time engineers.

> Crowd funding.

This is good for one-off, well defined projects.
To make it work, we would need to be able to reach the whole movement - tens of thousands of people, and ask them for $5 each. We have around 4000 addresses in Community Forge, but we don't have the kind of relationship yet where we can suggest such things, and we only communicate with site administrators. I don't know how TBUSA and CES feel about prompting their members directly by email to crowdfund. I don't think indirect methods of communication would work.
Another approach is to appeal to everyone in the world. This is more likely to work with professional video and scripting.

> Collective web traffic offered to advertisers.

I would rather starve than serve websites plastered in commercial trash and harvesting click data.

> Differentiated software fees for sponsored and member-led time banks.

That last one would be to enter into direct competiion with TBUSA, Also it would be a step backwards for CES, Hourworld and Cforge who are all delivering the sites free to all who ask. And how do you differentiate between timebanks? What about a flat rate: 10% of ALL grant monies raised in exchange for preferential support and bits of customisation. That way the orgs with income are giving to the whole community. However such income might be unpredictable, and the orgs raising the most might be the least happy to participate.

Ultimately I believe that rather than trying to capture as much money as possible in a zero sum game, the mid to long term solution lies in identifying and living from resources other than money. While we depend on money, it only takes a discreet word from the right politician, and we can be throttled!
To re-iterate, the most progressive approach is to build a relationship with the end users. Collectively they have huge resources, good hearts, and understand the needs. The difficulty with this approach is that it is hard to get the actual stuff from the users to the engineers without using something portable like money. Its easy enough with an intertrading network to move the hours, but eventually either people must move to where the goods and services are produced, or the goods and services must move to where the engineers are. The best way for timebanks to settle debts between each other is:
a) export produce
b) host inter-timebank events
c) provide online services to the rest of the network.
The organisations have to appreciate that by supporting engineers in this way, they are investing in a not-so tangible form of wealth, and saving funds they have raised for other purposes. And that the resilience gains of not using globalised commercial money will be offset somewhat by efficiency costs. This is not a net loss, its just a question of what is valued.

So I feel most comfortable about a combination of 1) mutual credit / payment in kind, as much as is viable, and 2) Crowdfunding commercial money for specific projects.
To me, both of these approaches involve reaching out to the existing users with a narrative that says 'we are doing this for ourselves, and the more of us that do it, the easier it gets'. At the same time we need to see more and more useful value changing hands with local money, and that means fostering enterprise and investment

We have to think less like a disparate movement and more like a coherent community, each with a role to play.
Matthew

Offline Tony Budak

• Administrator
K.A.N. FUNDING STRATEGIES SUB-GROUP REPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:23 AM »
      Hi all,
      Below and attached is what our group has come up with so far. It’s a work in progress. Please feel free to suggest additional ideas.

K.A.N. FUNDING STRATEGIES SUB-GROUP REPORT
      Marie Nelson & Tony Budak, 2013.04.05

The KAN Funding Strategies Sub-Group explored ways to achieve a sustainable future for the time banking movement. Historically two main networks in North America relied on external funding, using the resources of the dominant financial system to build a complementary community currency. More recently, a shift toward mutual credit and participatory funding is bringing the movement into greater alignment with its own core values.  The following are the strategies we have identified so far as having potential to help fund the movement at all levels:

-Mutual credit.

-Crowd funding.

-Sharable.net resources (e.g., Zimride, Task Rabbit, Couchsurfing, AirBnB).

-Consulting and training.

-Train-the-trainer apprenticeships.

-Planned giving opportunities.

-Additional complementary currencies (e.g., Community Way/Covesting).

-Collective web traffic offered to advertisers.

-Foundation, business or government grants.

-Partnerships with/incubation of worker-owner cooperatives.

-Partnerships with one or more national or international groups.

-Differentiated software fees for sponsored and member-led time banks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:42:02 AM by Tony Budak »
With Respect and Cheers,